Mission Vision: Glaucoma Treatment in San Antonio, TX
Although the threat of vision loss is real with glaucoma, it doesn’t have to end that way. Detected early enough, the eye condition can be managed, avoiding complete loss of vision thanks to available treatment options.
Glaucoma Treatment Options
All glaucoma treatments are designed to prevent loss of vision by lowering and/or controlling intraocular pressure (IOP) that can damage the optic nerve responsible for transmitting visual data to the brain. After an eye exam, Mission Vision may prescribe:
- Eye Drops: The first choice in alleviating IOP, eye drops come in different formulations, but may be used with each other to benefit from complementary effects. Active ingredients in glaucoma eye drops include:
- Prostaglandin – increases drainage of fluid between the lens and the cornea
- Beta-blockers – reduces eye fluid production
- Alpha-adrenergic agonists and carbonic anhydrase inhibitors – reduces production of fluid between lens and cornea
- Pills: Formulated to lessen fluid production in the eyed, pills may be prescribed as well when eye drops don’t suffice in controlling IOP.
- Surgery: When medications are not producing desired results or are leading to intolerable side effects, surgery may be presented as an option to treat glaucoma. The surgical procedure prescribed will depend on the type of glaucoma diagnosed.
Schedule an Eye Exam Today!
Worried about glaucoma? Put your mind at ease by getting your eyes checked right away! To schedule an eye exam in San Antonio TX, give us a call today at (210) 315-5559. You can also request an appointment using our online contact form.